The Bombay high court on Monday declined to interfere with the domicile requirement for medical college admissions in the state for the academic year 2016-17. The HC rejected a plea filed by private unaided medical colleges to stay the state’s new rule which requires up to 85% seats to be allocated to students with a domicile in Maharashtra. The HC admitted the colleges’ challenge to the rules, but allowed the state to implement them this year.
The order by the HC bench of Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice M S Sonak will now allow the government to carry out admissions based on the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) scores for all state medical colleges using the new domicile-based eligibility criteria admission rules that it framed in August.
Under the rules, 85% of the seats would be filled on basis of the domicile criteria and the rest 15% as institutional seats, sans any domicile requirement. The 15% seats, under the institutional quota which will in clude the non-resident Indian quota, would be filled sans any domicile requirement on an allIndia basis, the state said.
amar ujala newspaper 20/09/2016 : http://epaper.amarujala.com/