Asperger syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) considered to be on the “high functioning” end of the spectrum. Affected children and adults have difficulty with social interactions and exhibit a restricted range of interests and/or repetitive behaviors.
People affected are likely to display signs of
* Limited or inappropriate social interactions
* Robotic, repetitive speech
* Lack of eye contact or reciprocal conversation
* Poor non-verbal communication (gestures, facial expressions, etc.) with above-average verbal skills
* Difficulty comprehending emotions, humour and non-literal phrases
* Obsessive interest in unusual subjects
* One-sided conversations
* Awkward movement and mannerisms
Asperger syndrome is a “high functioning” autism spectrum disorder. Diagnosis is often missed till affected people display obvious problems in social interactions and exhibit repetitive behaviours. It can be treated with counselling, including cognitive behavioural therapy to build \social skills and control emotions, obsessions and repetitive behaviours.