Delhi continue to be rattle by the increase in Dengue cases in the state with a six year-old boy and a woman succumbing to death by the vector borne disease, including this death, the toll has reached to 11 even as Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister on Tuesday said his government planning to bring a law to enable temporary takeover of private hospitals during emergencies in the state.
A child from Srinivaspuri area of South Delhi identified as Aman Sharma, died of dengue and his parents alleged that three private hospitals — Moolchand, Max Saket and Batra, did not admit him citing unavailability of beds in the hospital. Aman died at Holy Family hospital in Okhla on Sunday.
Seven-year-old Avinash Rout, last week, had died of disease after not being given admission by 5 hospitals that forced his parents to suicide, that triggered widespread outrage in the city.
Mr. Kejriwal said tough action will be taken against hospitals that turned away patients citing excuses of many kinds.
Naveen Patnaik, Odisha CM has urged Kejriwal to take action against the health facilities in the state that allegedly did not admit a Rout, who hails from Odisha.
Referring to the death, Kejriwal said, “It is very heartbreaking.. I feel very sad after hearing such incidents.”
“We are planning to come out with a law so that hospitals refusing treatment to an emergency patient can be penalised. In the next couple of days, we will call a special session of the legislative assembly to bring in the law,” Kejriwal said.
On Monday, data released by the three civic bodies of the state, South Delhi Municipal Corporation, North Delhi Municipal Corporation and East Delhi Municipal Corporation, said that till September 12 of this month, deaths due to dengue was five and total dengue cases have gone up to 1,872.