Occupants of more than 100 houses around the remaining 11-storey building in Moulivakkam will be evacuated on the day the structure is razed. The Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) had told the Madras high court that the building would be pulled down by the end of this month.
A survey to enumerate the number of houses, where residents are required to be evacuated for safety reasons, was completed last week. An official involved in the sur vey said people residing in a radius of 100 metres from the high-rise would have to stay away from their houses for a few hours ahead of the demolition. The tower, Belief, is situated on Kundrathur Main Road. “They can return an hour after the demolition,“ the source said, adding that the report has been sent to the government.
The building would be brought down in a few minutes using implosion technology . Preparatory work to weaken the structure had been going on for the past three months. A Tirupur-based private firm had been appointed by the CMDA to carry out the process at a cost of `50 lakh. An official with the firm said work pertaining to pre-weakening had almost been completed. Dismantling steel from the structure and clearing debris were part of the activities carried out to reduce vibration and noise pollution during the blast. It may be recalled that the 11-storey Block-B known as `Faith’ of Prime Sristi Housing Private Ltd collapsed in June 2014 killing more than 60 persons. On May 12, the SC accepted the report of a committee, which was constituted by it, to examine the second tower and ordered razing of the structure.
dinathanthi newspaper 20/09/2016 : http://www.dinathanthiepaper.in/firstpage.aspx