Eamcet-II scrapped, fresh test on Sept 11
After weeks of dithering, the Telangana government on Tuesday scrapped Eamcet II following the leak of the medical entrance test paper and issued a fresh notification for a re-test on September 11 for admissions to 2,950 MBBS and 1,140-odd BDS seats.
The Telangana State Council of Higher Education issued a notification saying the entrance will be conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU-H) between 10 am and 1 pm on September 11.
N Yadaiah, the registrar of JNTU-H was appointed as convenor of Eamcet-III, while the TSCHE in the notification said the detailed schedule of the exam will be announced after a common entrance test com mittee meeting soon.
However, after 10 days of probe, the Crime Investigation Department could only establish that the question papers were indeed leaked by few middlemen from the printing press in Delhi and distributed them among 130 students, but has so far failed to identify the kingpin who masterminded the fraud.
The paper leak triggered massive protests by parents and students across the state.They demanded that the government debar students who benefited and not scrap the medical entrance test altogether.
Members of Akhila Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad too sat on relay hunger strike on Tuesday demanding immediate removal of officials and ministers `involved’ in the paper leak.
However, at a high-level meeting, chief minister Chandrasekhar Rao took a decision to scrap Eamcet-II and conduct a fresh test.
In the review meeting, the chief minister said all students appearing for EamcetIII would be exempted from paying registration fee and the old hall-tickets issued for Eamcet-II would be valid.
He instructed officials to arrange free transportation facility for students on the examination day by providing additional RTC buses.
However, students are unhappy with the decision as they say it is stressful for them to re-appear for the test. “It is extremely stressful to know that I have to study for another month to appear for EamcetIII. Because of few unscrupulous elements, nearly 56,000 students have to bear the brunt,“ said Tanisht Gupta who secured 29th rank in Eamcet-II. The decision to scrap Eamcet-II was taken by the government after the Hyderabad High Court refused to scrap the exam on its own. Earlier in the day , the state counsel cited the judgements of the Supreme Court which said exams hit by leaks must be cancelled irrespective of the number of the affected people and sought a direction to the state to cancel the exam.
Acting Chief Justice Ramesh Ranganathan made it clear that the court will not attempt to run the government from the court room. “Instead, you tell us what is your stand on the matter,“ he told the state counsel. The counsel replied that the probe has conclusively established that a fraud was perpetrated and 103 students were taken to 12 cities, including Bangalore, Pune and Cuttack to provide the medical entrance paper. They were trained there and brought to the exam centres in Hyderabad on the day of the entrance test.
While the JNTU-H has again been given the responsibility to re-conduct the exam, CID officials found serious lapses on part of the university in conducting Eamcet-II.
Meanwhile, during a review meeting convened by chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao on the preparations for the Eamcet III here on Tuesday , officials said four persons -Mukul Jain, Mayank Sarma, Suneel Singh and Iqbal -were identified as the kingpin in the paper leak scam. While 34 brokers were involved in the fraud, six were taken into custody and arrest of five more would take place any time.
According to officials, as many as 200 students got hold of the leaked Eamcet question paper.
Ministers Kadiyam Srihari, Laxma Reddy and senior police officials took part in the meeting.
eenadu news paper 03-08-2016: http://epaper.eenadu.net