On Sunday, in a process to close the deadlock incapacitating the functioning of India’s premier film education centre, Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) students called off their 17-day hunger strike against the controversial appointment of Gajendra Chauhan, BJP leader as FTII chairman after the Information and Broadcasting (I & B) Ministry agreed to hold fresh talks on Tuesday.
As the FTII Students’ Association (FSA) disclosed that they are withdrawing the hunger strike after receiving intimation for fresh parleys on behalf of Information and Broadcasting (I & B) ministry, protests against Mr. Chauhan and the appointments of RSS members in the FTII governing council, will continue.
On Tuesday, the meeting between the government officials and student body will take place at the Films Division in Mumbai, indicated in the letter signed by K. Sanjay Murthy, the Joint Secretary (Films).
Dated Friday, in a letter to the Ministry, the FSA has said that it proposed to call off the hunger strike “once the government takes immediate trust-building measures and confirms the date for official meeting with the representatives of the Ministry.” At least 6 students have been admitted to the hospital since the relay hunger strike commenced on September 10.
“We have written at least 15 letters to the government so far. But have not received any reply to any one of them. What kind of government have we elected? A government which is silent and doesn’t let creativity prosper?” said the delegation of students, spearheading the strike.
The Pune Police on Sunday issued notice to Abhijit Das, faculty member, that started a fast on the institute premises.