Vaikasi Visakam is celebrated on May 21, 2016 (Saturday). The timing of Visaka Natchathiram is from around 5.10 pm IST (May 20th) to around 7.40 pm IST (May 21st)
Vaikasi Visakam Significance:
Vaikasi Visagam is the birthday of Lord Muruga.
It is believed that
– Lord Shiva burnt Manmadan on Holi.
– Lord Shiva – Goddess Parvathi Thirukalyanam held in Panguni Uthiram.
– Lord Muruga took birth as six flames from third eye of Lord Shiva on Vaikasi Visakam.
In almost all Lord Muruga Temples there will be 10 day Brahmotsavam Vasantha Thiruvizha with Flag Hoisting (Kodiyetram).
Many devotees will wear saffron or green clothes, undertake Paada Yatra, take Paal Kudam (Milk), Kavadi, Pierce Spear (Alagu Kuthuthal), Shave their Head, do Angapradakshinam
Schedule in Temples:
– Annual ‘Paal Abhishekam’ to Lord Shanmuga will be held in the morning from 9am to 2pm IST at Kambathadi Mandapam Visaka Koradu Mandapam. Many devotees in long queues will offer Milk to Lord Muruga.
– May 20, 2016 (Friday) – Palani Aandavar Thirukalyanam
– May 21, 2016 (Saturday) – Malaikovil Opens at early morning 4 am IST. Ratham at 4.20 pm in the evening. (Therottam, Car Festival, Chariot, Ther)
– May 22, 2016 (Sunday) – Thantha Pallakku
– May 23, 2016 (Monday) – Mayil Vahanam
– Lord Subramanya Temple normally opens at early morning 1 am itself on Vaikasi Visakam. During the day, Jayanthinathar will come around Vasantha Mandapam 11 times and give Sabavimotchanam to Muni Kumarargal
At Vadapalani, Chennai special Kalasbhishekam will be held to Lord Dhandayuthapani in the Uchi Kaalam (afternoon). Lord Muruga Valli-Deivanai Thirukalyanam will be held in the evening.
Vaikasi is the name of the Tamil month (May-June). Visakam is the name of the nakshatra (star). The time mentioned above may vary slightly in different Panchagam.
Next Year Vaikasi Visakam:
In 2017, Vaikasi Visakam is celebrated on June 7, 2017 (Wednesday)